Sunday, June 30, 2013

Riding

Sitting on the side of a country road, waiting for the rest of the tour to show up. Mr. Yuen is here. He's the driver, caretaker, mother. Not a word gets passed between us, but he will authoritatively make sure I nap, eat a peach, and relax in the right way. I wanted to sit on the side of the road and watch the sheep in the field, but he strongly suggested I sit in the van. Then as I started to rest in the backseat, he strongly suggested I sit in the front seat, reclined the seat for me, and when I complied, he laid a warm jacket on top of me. So all this to say that I've been sitting in this van too long... 2 hrs?... while the others try their hand at mountain biking some rough terrain. From the tiny chards I can gather from his phone conversation with the tour guide just now, it seems like the others turned around and are coming back the way they came, instead of completing the trail.

* turns out they took a wrong turn. Next time I'll bring a book, but I think there is only 1 other mountain biking day.

The way back into town felt short. Thats always a bonus with reliving a road - the 2nd time is always shorter.

The roads around here are like this:
An assortment of a few nice cars, huge black smoking Mexican haul-it trucks (or at least I saw tons of these in Mexico), lawn-mower /electric bike / cart hack jobs, old taxis, mini-van combi-style buses... The boulevards leading out of town look new: impeccable pavement, and they are divided with nice shrubbery in middle. Maybe not everyone is on board with these divided blvds: many cars will drive against traffic to find a parking spot. The standard method for passing a bike out here: hooooooonk. Yay. But it doesn't feel unsafe because people don't follow the rules: everyone's in the lookout. The country roads are 1 lane, pleasant.

The countryside around here: hogs, big wooden harvest drying racks, made from sharpened stakes, looks more like a pirate impalement implement. Cows, sheep, cultivated fields of yellow flowers.

Tomorrow we ride some 50 miles to get to the next town. No wifi for next few days but I may be able to find a computer somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. So you have a mother to make sure you take care of yourself over there. Doesn't sound like it was too much fun though. I think you have a lot more fun when you are traveling with your real mother. :-)

    ReplyDelete